Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

The court date I questioned you about on 7/18 took place 7/29.

Customer Question

The court date I questioned you about on 7/18 took place 7/29. When the court time was called, my daughter's husband, his attorney, his father and my daughter's attorney were summoned into the courtroom. My daughter was told to wait in the outer courtroom. After a short period of time, they all came out of the courtroom and my daughter's attorney told her that the judge had decided on a child support amount, the time of 5 hours of supervised time per week for him to see his daughter and that he had to leave the marital home. My question this time is, why wasn't my daughter privy to what went on in the courtroom?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.

Dear Customer - If all of the other people you mentioned were in the courtroom I have no idea why your daughter's attorney would have told her to remain outside. That would be a question only he or she could answer since it must have been some legal strategy that the attorney thought would be best to obtain the best possible outcome. If your daughter is unhappy with the outcome she needs to file a complaint in the case and if she feels her attorney acted improperly she needs to file an ethics complaint with the Bar Association. I have included their website below. There is no legal reason I know of why her attorney would have told her to wait outside if the other party was going to be permitted to be in the court room. She really needs to discuss this with her attorney since there is no legal reason I know of why this occurred.

http://www.nysba.org/