How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Pennsylvania. I have always contributed to the support

Customer Question

I live in Pennsylvania. I have always contributed to the support of my sons age 16 and 17. Am I obligated to pay their college tuition after they turn 18? I have been unemployed for six months.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

WebLaw :

*Due to rules of your state bar or mine, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, only intended as general information to better help yourself.*

WebLaw :

Do you have a current child support order and if so what does the support order state

Customer : I do have a court order and pay according to that order until they are 18 or out of high school.
WebLaw :

Unless your marital separation agreement states otherwise, you are not responsible for college tuition or support after the age of 18. However the termination of child support in Pennsylvania does not occur automatically. You will need to petition the court for termination based upon the emancipation of the child

Customer : Thank you.
WebLaw :

It has been my pleasure to work with you

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers..

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.