How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a child age 14 that has been living with me since february,

Resolved Question:

I have a child age 14 that has been living with me since february, I take her to all her dr. appointments, to and from school when school was in. I feed and cloth her,she doesnt want to go home with het fathet she cries when he comes. He is very mean and emvarasses and humiliates hetmr, a very heavy drinker and has beat her before and dss was called by a teacher, and they came to her gome. She wants to live with myself and my daughters and she calls me mom. What can I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

You can either work through DSS, which is free or you can hire a private attorney and try to get custody. Since you apparently not a relative, it is going to be very difficult for you to get custody either way since you are not an approved foster parent. Thanks for caring but the legal system is against you.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions