How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118689
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you explain what is means is non-legal terms 6/16/2011

This answer was rated:

Can you explain what is means is non-legal terms?

What is means is that the other party is moving the court to order you to agree to the disbursement of funds and to hold that the order to disburse is valid and force you to comply with it.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So If I do not comply, What are the consquences? What about personal property, is that grounds to withhold the disperment?
If you do not comply and the court orders you to do so, then the court can order you to pay the other party's attorney's fees and can even order you placed in jail until you comply. However, if the other party has not complied with the other part of the order, then you need to file your own motion to compel and order to show cause for contempt and ask the court to order them to turn over that property as well.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Since this was filed by a lawyer and I am no longer working with mine, can this motion to compel be filed by me?


If so, how do I go about it?




Yes you can file it on your own, but you will need to get a copy of one of the other motions filed in your case to copy the format for your own motion. You can also go to the local legal aid office or the local law school for some assistance in completing the motion to file it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where do I file it? County clerk .
You file it with the clerk of the court where your case is currently being heard.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have another question, If this motion was filed on 6/16 and the QRDO was drafted without any involvement of my lawyer, in fact we had not even viewed the the request to the third party administrator to release the funds. How can this motion even be considered legimate?


My lawyer was required to sign off on the QRDO, after we both had a chance to review it, and we never did.

If it was never reviewed and agreed upon then this is your ground to dispute signing it, unless the court finds it was drafted in accordance to the court ordered agreement and then the court can hold that because it was exactly what the court ordered, your approval of it was not required.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My lawyer had to sign, but the point the motion was filed before any of the work was done. How can you file a motion that holds me accountable or in contempt, if I have never got it??





If your attorney received the motion, then you are liable for it and it may be that your attorney committed malpractice in not getting your approval of the terms.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No my attorney never received it until after this motion was filed. He then contacted me to review and approve it.


My point is ,the other attorney, ex-wife filed this motion before we ever had the paperwork that is required to transfer the funds in the QRDO.


How can this be done?

Your attorney then had a right to file an objection to the motion upon receiving it. This is a procedural issue and basis for appeal in the court.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thanks again
Thank you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.



Any chance this could be the QDRO itself as opposed to non-compliance to disperse funds?

No, it would state motion for QDRO, now it could be a motion to affirm the court order to issue the QDRO, but without reading all of the documents that is only a speculation.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I cannot read the pleadings so I am guessing. They may be moving to affirm the issuance of the QDRO without your signature. In other words they may be asking the court to issue the QDRO without you signing it since you have refused to sign it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

If I send it can you explain it?

We cannot review such documents in this forum, it is well beyond the scope. You can post certain paragraphs if you have questions but we cannot review the entire document.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can not attach it to this. where can I forward too?




That is what I was trying to explain, we cannot get contact in any manner other than this forum and this is why your request may be a bit beyond the scope of this service.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. I understand. You have been a tremendous help.
Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you