How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband doesnt pay child support for 5 years, since the

Resolved Question:

My husband doesn't pay child support for 5 years, since the separation date. Is he supposed to pay from the separation or divorce date? I'm NY resident and he is some where in other state, possible NJ. Should I be going to the family court in NY State?
Submitted: 6 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Legally the ex is required to pay from the date when the child no longer resides with him, which would likely be the separation date. You can pursue this via NY courts if that is where the child currently resides. Then, once you obtain a judgment, you can try to get the state agencies involved and see if they can help you track him down and then possibly attempt a wage garnishment so that the back child-support would be automatically received and provided to you.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you