How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13663
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from Texas. My son is 13 1/2. 2 weeks ago my son spoke

Resolved Question:

I am from Texas. My son is 13 1/2. 2 weeks ago my son spoke with the judge about things his father and step mother have done-emotional and mental abuse. The judge ordered mediation ASAP, with the child present. Between the Lawyers and Mediator it won't be until August 28th. My son is suppose to go to his Father's tomorrow. He is refusing to go!!
Afraid of the retaliation!
What should I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information.


You're in a bit of a pickle to which there is no easy answer, unfortunately. If you believe that your son will be harmed or endangered in some manner by going to his father's house, you can keep him with you; however, if the child does not go to visitation you run the risk of the father filing a contempt motion against you for violating any court ordered visitation. How a judge would respond to that is hard to say --a court can appreciate that at 13, visitation is not as simple as with a young child that you can force to get into a car and drop off, they can also appreciate if there is good cause for a child not to go. At the same time, of course, the whole purpose of visitation is to allow each parent to spend time with the child.


And, the father would be ill advised to be anything but low key during visitation prior to mediation, as any negative behavior by either party is sure to come out during such time.


What should you do? That's not something a lawyer can decide for you. You know the situation best, XXXXX XXXXX know the facts of your case. I understand you can't force him to get in the car and go, but he needs to understand a) you can get in trouble from the judge as a result of his actions and b) his actions can ultimately hurt what you are trying to do.



JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.


DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you