How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My attorney wrote The placement of Tatum (my minor daughter)

Customer Question

My attorney wrote: "The placement of Tatum (my minor daughter) with a person other than her father can not be legally sanctioned by any court other than probate court."

Why did my divorce attorney write that?

My husband was at that time being treated for cancer.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

The reason your attorney wrote that is because it is true. You or your daughter's father are both deemed to be legal guardians of the child if you are both listed on the child's birth certificate. Anyone else, be it a relative, sibling, or a stranger, cannot care for the child unless legally sactioned and permitted by the courts. In other words if you, for example, wanted the child to be cared for by your mother, you would have had to write a guardianship petition which would have had to been approved by the courts before guardianship would have been transferred.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hold on the divorce judge ruled that visitation with my daughter was cancelled because of my actions regarding the health insurance. So now what happens? The father is dead, my daughter has possession of the child; my 2 other adult children hate me; and my older one is trying to show I am unfit in probate court. Where do I turn for legal assistance?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
To turn for legal assistance consider contacting the county bar association and see if they have low cost or pro-bono help available. You can also browse and search for LegalAid and other women's groups in the area as they also provide low-cost assistance for those who have no or very limited funds.

Good luck.

Related Family Law Questions