How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My niece is a Mexican citizen with a child whos father is

This answer was rated:

My niece is a Mexican citizen with a child who's father is an American citizen. How does she get/file for child support from the father?
Hello there:

I understand that your niece is a Mexican citizen and the father is American. Where does the child reside?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The child resides in Mexico with the mother


Child support is awarded through the courts of the country of the child's residence. She would need to contact the local family court directly or through an attorney and request the forms needed to collect child support. Once she gets an order for support, there is a treaty between Mexico and the U.S. that will allow for its enforcement over international borders; she would just need to register it in the state where the father resides.

I understand that you may have follow-up questions. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thank you.
Brandon M. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions