How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

boyfriend daughter voultirty gave all her rights and resperability

Resolved Question:

boyfriend daughter voultirty gave all her rights and resperability and medicial rights of her daughter to her father it says the little girl is to live at her grandfathers address . The mother doesnot support the child in anyway and we have since she was two months old now we want full custody because the mother is a low life thinks of herself and to hell with the kid and she has another one on the way . She has gave her oldest son to he mother and step father in vermont but she is getting help from the state of florida for their food and she don't have either one of them and we need to know what to do to save the granddaughter we love her to peices she calls us mommie and daddy we live just on ssi check and after the bills are paid the rest is gone on the baby
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed Florida family law attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you.


To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points so I can best address your inquiry:


  1. I'm not quite sure I understand the familial relationship. How are the biological parents related to you?
  2. Where is the child now?
  3. Has the mother completed a termination of her parental rights?




Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.


Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The mother of the child is my boyfriend daughter. The baby lives with her grandfather and myself because the mother is homeless. She has given her father a letter saying he has all rights and responsibility and medical to her father the letter was written on Feb 11,2011 and was signed infront of a notary on the11 of feb,2011


Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for the additional information. I still need a bit more information...


The document the mother gave to your boyfriend, is it nothing more than a "letter"? It is NOT from the courts?


Where is the biological father? Do you know his wishes?


Is the child with you and the boyfriend now? If so, how long has she been with you?


Do you and the boyfriend have any plans to marry? If so, when?


Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

we have no idea where the real father is because she don;t know who it is Yes she has lived with us since she was two months old Yes we do with in the next six months have to make sure we have enough to support us and the baby which we do know


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just to let you know my boyfriend owes the house that we live in. The house is free and clear. The mother of the child hasn't supported her since she has been here with us. We buy everything the baby needs like her draiper,clothes ,food milk .and all her other needs.
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

There are two ways to have legal custody of the child, either through a guardianship or through an adoption.


A guardianship is fairly easily accomplished. You could draft up the paperwork (it would certainly be easier through an attorney), have her sign off on it and then file it with the court. It could be accomplished as quickly as a week or two.


An adoption is more complex. The mother would need to have her parental rights terminated by the court system. This requires a petition for termination of parental rights and necessitates an attempt to locate the biological father or an affidavit that the father is unknown. Additionally, it requires a petition for adoption to be filed by you and your boyfriend. This would certainly be easier with an attorney.


The guardianship is quicker and cheaper while the adoption is permanent and more effective. Choose whichever method suits your needs.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Joseph and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you