How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I have been a stay at home mom of 2 children for almost

Resolved Question:

If I have been a stay at home mom of 2 children for almost 5 years, have recently started school part time with a goal of a BSN (nursing) degree, and my husband has undergone a 5 day stay in a psychiatric treamtment facility just shy of 2 years ago for a mental condition but refuses medication and therapy, can I get alimony and child support if I leave?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Is he employed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes full time
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Do you need his approximate income?


Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
No, not at all. sorry for the delay, I had to reboot my internet. You can most definitely 100% get child support. As to whether you will get alimony, there are a number of factors the court takes into consideration: length of marriage, income of the parties, your needs, his ability to pay, lifestyle established during the marriage, etc. and that is subjective and up to the judge to decide how much alimony and how long it would be paid for. you should also get an attorney because he will have to contribute to paying for your attorney as well. so do not let the fact that you may not have enough money for an attorney dissuade you from seeking an attorney to represent you. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So as far as alimony, our length of marriage is 8 and a half years. Reason I was wondering is because I am not able to work during an accelerated BSN program (too intense).
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
The court can award you alimony for the period of time that it takes to complete your program so that you can become self-sufficient and self-supporting. It's called rehabilitative alimony and you have the opportunity to be awarded that. I hope that helps clarify. Thanks and best regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is all of this something that COULD be done in mediation or is a lawyer a necessity because of the children being involved? I would rather do this as amicably as possible, but he really isn't the type for negotiation...Thanks for your time.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
you cannot force him to do mediation and agree without lawyers being involved. once the petition for divorce is filed, mediation is a part of the divorce process but he can just show up and not agree to anything, the case will then need to be decided by the judge and based on what you just said it would seem lawyers will need to be involved. I hope this helps clarify. Thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my time and answers. I am still happy to reply to follow up after you click ACCEPT. Thanks again and best regards.
GeorgetownLawyr and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you