How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In our divorce, which was final 7/16/2011, the judge ordered

Resolved Question:

In our divorce, which was final 7/16/2011, the judge ordered my ex to have his belongings out by 7/1/2011. He has and I was told I would have to file a contempt of court form. He is on probation for a DUI and also has a case against him for illegal gun possession and traveling with the guns. He is going to trail for that.
My question is, if I file contempt papers, would that cause him to go right to jail? I don't want him to go to jail because of this, I just want him to take his stuff---Expensive tools that he says he wants.
My parents own the 2 family that I live in and have a restraining order on my ex, so he has to make arrangement to remove things, but he has had 9 months.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX in Mass.

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


You can ask for contempt but the judge will not send him to jail over this right away. The judge will likely tell him that he has 10 day or so after the hearing to get his stuff out and that if he does not do so after that then he will have forfeited his right to ever get it back.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You said he wouldn't go to jail right away. What did you mean by right away?
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. The judge has the power to give him a chance to get his tools out in 10 days or so and if he does not comply, then the judge cold put him in jail. But this is not likely to ever happen in this case because the judge can just say to him that if he does not get his tools out, he forfeits his rights to them period, end of story kind of thing.



Maverick and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions