How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my son turned 18 last october and graduated from high school

This answer was rated:

my son turned 18 last october and graduated from high school may 2011. ex is telling us that child support continues until he is emancipated. is this true? he is not enrolled in any school for continued education and he is also the parent of a child that is almost 2 (aug 2011). do we continue paying child support or not?

Under MO law, the termination of support at 18; or upon graduation from high school or age 21, whichever occurs first; if child enrolled in vocational school or college, to 22. Furthermore, Mo. R. Civ. Pro. 88.01 and Mo. Rev. Stat. § 452.340.5 provides that if the child is enrolled in an institution of higher education, the parental support obligation shall continue until the child completes his education or until the child reaches the age of 22, whichever occurs first.

If your situation does not fit into the above, you must file a motion with the court to terminate support and prove the child is not attending college or vocational school at an institution of higher learning.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ex is saying he won't be 'emancipated' until oct 2011. they are telling us we have to continue child support until then and if he enrolls in school before then we continue the support. currently he isn't enrolled in any type of further education and doesn't show any signs of doing so. what is the 'emancipated' thing they are talking about?
That is not true and they are lying to you. I gave you the statute above, that is the MO law exactly quoted to you. Legally he became an adult at 18, the law above says support continues only under the above circumstances.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you