How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Father has had physical custody of 2 sons since divorce. mother

Resolved Question:

Father has had physical custody of 2 sons since divorce. mother given 1 visit per month and alternate holidays. She was ordered to pay $200 per month. She refused and her wages were garnished for one month and then she would disappear. Her drivers license was taken from her. Visits were erratic. She signed Termination of Parental rights papers in 2006 so she wouldn't have to pay child support. She recently has breached the Termination order. Is she then liable for back child support
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - Visitation and support are separate issues so if she violated the visitation or custody that would not have anything to do with child support. A motion to reinstate support would have to be filed if the father wants to allow the mother to reestablish her parental rights. The fact that she violated the custody or visitation should be met with a motion for contempt of court to keep her out of the child's life. Since there has been no child support order since the rights were terminated then there would be no back child support to pay.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions