Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have been divorced for about 6 yrs now, but before that I

Customer Question
was married for almost 17...
I have been divorced for about 6 yrs now, but before that I was married for almost 17 yrs. A friend of mine told me that I am entitled to 1/2 of my ex-husbands retirement pay (military) even though we had an uncontested divorce. Is this true?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2011
Family Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer
You are entitled to a portion of your ex-spouse's military retirement only if the family court orders it in your favor. If the court did not consider the issue of retirement, and you did not waive the division of this property in the divorce judgment or marital settlement agreement, then you may be able to ask the court to make an order for division of the retirement now. Otherwise, you would be barred from returning to court and requesting a division.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser, Lawyer
socrateaser, Lawyer