How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118215
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Court order states petitioner do pay all educational expenses

This answer was rated:

Court order : "petitioner do pay all educational expenses of children" and "Petitioner and Respondent shall consult with each other to agree upon those variations to time schedule and to agree upon those significant decisions which bear upon the welfare of the said children" Children moved schools and respondent met 50% of educational costs. Respondent is seeking reimbursement of costs. please advise .
If the respondent/petitioner did not have any say in the decision, then the respondent/petitioner would file an order to show cause for contempt and seek to have the court rule the party in contempt for moving them without the approval of the respondent (or vice versa) and as a penalty the party can seek reimbursement of expenses.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
For PaulMJD
What if both parties agreed to the move and the respondent agreed to meet 50% of the educational costs? are there any defenses you can think of the petitioner?
If both parties agreed and respondent agreed to pay 50%, then really the petitioner has no defenses.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so basically any money paid by the respondent or the co-respondent can be successfully reclaimed from the petitioner/
No, if the respondent agreed to pay the 50%, then the respondent will not be able to claim the money back, this would be considered by the courts as a "gift" as it was actually given to the petitioner by the respondent and it was not listed in the settlement agreement.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Going forward if the respondent does nor "gift" or contribute what remedies are available to the petitioner to enforce the arrangement
The only thing that can be enforced is the exact amount due, nothing more than that amount. If that is not being paid, then the petitioner has to go to court on an order to show cause for contempt and get the court to order it.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you