How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13639
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My devorice degree says im to pay tell my son is 18.He is going

This answer was rated:

My devorice degree says im to pay tell my son is 18.He is going to a commuity collage out of state, he is paying for it with his student loan and paying for his housing. Has any law change that i have to still pay his mother support till he is 21 or out of school. His mother is not paying for anything and im not eaither. thanks

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information.


There is no law in Colorado that says you have to pay child support until he is 21 or out of college.


Generally, (absent a court order that provides otherwise) the child support obligation in Colorado is owed until the child's emancipation, which is normally the earliest of the child turning 19, marrying, joining the military, or graduating from high school and becoming self-sufficient, or death.


In rare cases, child support may extend beyond the child's 19th birthday, such as the child still being in high school or equivalent (support continues until the month after graduation), or the child being physically or mentally unable to support himself or herself (in which case a court may continue support indefinitely).

For child support orders entered after July 1, 1997, the support obligation terminates automatically once the last child reachesXXXXXorder to the contrary. C.R.S. 14-10-115(1.6).


If your court order says that you have to pay until he is 18, and he is already 18, then the obligation should have stopped. If he is not yet 18, but already attending college and living on his own, an argument to terminate support can be made on the premise that he has emancipated himself and is living independently.



JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.


DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you