How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced i adopted two children of her previous marriage

Customer Question

I am divorced i adopted two children of her previous marriage they are 16 and 19 they have nothing to do with me . the oldest calls me all kinds of names gives gestures wishnshe did not have my last name etc. i treated both very generiousley . im sure the mother does everything to make them against me. I pay 780 a month child support. onley income is ss 2000 a month before any expenses insurance etc. paying over 40% of my income. We split assets which were mine before marriage 225,000 each i went to court for reduction judge stated i had equipment i could earn income from left support the same so i have to keep selling my assets to make payments. any suggestions?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation and am working on your answer now.

How long ago did you seek a reduction in support from the court?

Do you have court-ordered visitation with the children?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am 73 ex is 45

court was5mo ago

no court order was agreed whenever children wanted

Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
I see.

If you had sought visitation and she was poisoning the children against you, then you would typically have a basis for having her held in contempt of court for that conduct since the parents are obligated to work together toward the best interest of the children and that involves maintain a good relationship for the children.

Since you do not have visitation and you recently attempted to reduce the support order unsuccessfully, there would be no other legal recourse at this time typically I'm afraid.

It does sound unfair to force you to continue selling assets to pay support, but the court used its discretion to impute income to you that you do not actually have it appears.

There is no legal means to undo the adoption either, so that is not an option.

You could wait a couple of years and file another motion to reduce child support and this time retain a reputable family law attorney to aggressively argue that it must be reduced and appeal the order if the court refuses. That is the only remaining option I'm afraid.

Good luck and take care.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.