How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118809
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother is very ill and need a procedure done regarding her

Customer Question

My mother is very ill and need a procedure done regarding her kidneys. She is refusing to let the doctors treat her. She is only 69 years old and was in great health until she incurred an infection in her kidneys. I want to be able to sign doctors papers and have her have the procedure done immediately. Otherwise, she will lose her kidneys and be subject to dialysis. Please help me! Thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, unless you can prove she is mentally incompetent, no court will force her to have this done. If her doctor is willing to say she is incompetent and requires this lifesaving measure, then her doctor can go to court with you and obtain a court order for treatment against her will, but that is a drastic measure and you will need an attorney and the court will appoint a local attorney to represent her as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I need more information that I can use immediately. My mother is very ill and I need to know about guardianship of Illinois or anything that I can do now. I really do not have any help and am trying to do this on my own. I also do not have money for a legal lawyer.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You can file a petition for guardianship over your mother, but have to prove mental incompetence, not physical illness and will need her doctor to testify. You will need an attorney and Illinois Legal Aid can assist you, see: