How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, A friend of mine whos child is now 18 was ordered to

Customer Question

Hello, A friend of mine who's child is now 18 was ordered to pay child support in 2010 by DCF(Dept of Children and Family). At the time the child was still seventeen, after some communication between the mother and father the mother decided to drop the case but because she had originally filed for divorce ten years ago. The state is now persuing a past due amount based on the divorce and custody which went to the mother; in the amount of $50.000, they (the Dept of Revenue) will not respond to his attorney's request for a copy of the original support order and they did not show up at a recent hearing to explain where the past due amount is coming from. My friends license which was suspended was reenstated by the judge but he does not understand what is going especially because at the time of the divorce the mother of the child was receiving money but refused to have anything to do with the father. Where does he stand at this point. thank you.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

That is a very uncommon situation, specifically if the request by the attorney is being ignored. At this time I would suggest that your friend's attorney attempt to return to court and receive a subpoena of records from the DFC (something they will not ignore, as it is court ordered), and trace the petition. If the order is refused, your friend would have to sue the agency for damages and for contempt of court. If the documentation is provided, then the attorney would have to review and find grounds to contest and remove the petition from your friend's record via a decree as that would dismiss the order and make the support appear current and paid off. Until then legally the order is still valid.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok thank you.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
You are most welcome. Good luck to your friend!