How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

our daughter is 18 and going to college in september. Her father is petioning the court to

Resolved Question:

our daughter is 18 and going to college in september. Her father is petioning the court to discontinue child support payments because her domicile addres will be her college. We disagree as she will be spending nearly 6 months at home with us and still receiving her mail at our address. He also pays child support based now on 40,000 annual income and is now making 80,000.
Is it possible we may lose our child support payments? Should they be based off of 40,000 or 80,000??
Thank You
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for contacting

What does the current order of support indicate with regard to termination of support?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Emancipation of a minor chld shall be at 18 or finishes high school except, if a child is domiciled in the home of a parent and is principally dependent upon said parent due to enrollment of the child in an undergraduate degree program , then emancipation shall be the date of graduation or 23 birthday
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.
OK. That is the law in MA, so whether support should continue will turn on whether she is domiciled in your home.

If she intends to live in a dorm during the school year, but returns home when not in school, then she would typically be deemed to be domiciled in your home and support should continue.

The dorm is a temporary domicile, not her permanent domicile and the court looks to her permanent domicile for purposes of child support typically.

Yes. The support should be based on the father's current income, so if it has increased, you should file a counter-motion to modify the order of support requesting that the court not terminate the support, but increase it.

Good luck and take care.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.
Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you