How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband pays child support to his ex-girlfriend. She does

Customer Question

My husband pays child support to his ex-girlfriend. She does not work as she claims but the son says that she does.: speculating...under the table. She lives for free because she occupies the house her father bought. I am financially dependent on him for now. My husband and I are expecting our first baby: twins. Will that increase his child support?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Your husband's child support to his ex girlfriend will not be increased due to the fact that you are expecting twins (congratulations!).

Your husband may want to petition the court for modification of the child support that he pays to his ex-girlfriend to reflect her earnings

Please let me know if you have any questions concerning my answer.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I ask this questions because he received a letter regarding possible increase and both parties are being asked for financial update.

My husband made $70,000 - $85,000 last year this includes overtime (gross)...Without it it would be less. His is paying more than $2K for the mortgage. There are other household expenses he is shouldering primarily. His child support has been around $730 for 12 years. Now the child support wants to increase that. In 15 days they might put a stipulation on increase to the court (????) The CSU in that county is asking for 180 days to reply.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
Let back up please. I think would be helpful to clarify how California child support works.

The California child support guidelines are based on the Income Shares Model which includes consideration of both parents income. The monthly support amount is divided proportionally according to each parent's income and then offset to establish which parent will pay the other parent for support of the child. All income is typically verified by examining past W-2's.

Therefore your husband's child support will increase if he makes more money or if the other parent makes less money than when the support order was issued.

Thus in order to reduce the amount of child support that your husband will be required to pay, he will need to convince the court that the other parent is working or should be working and ask that the Court impute an income to her

I hope that it helps to know this information

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. This avenue of consultation is relatively new to me. So navigating around is new as well. I will give your answer to my text. Hopefully, he has other questions down road. Thank you so much. I will also refer this website to my friends as well.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
It has been my pleasure to work with you

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers..

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.