How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118264
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

After being unemployeed for 6 months and running out of money,

Resolved Question:

After being unemployeed for 6 months and running out of money, I let my teenage daughter (then 13 now 14) go live with my sister while I moved in my mother. Grandmother and grandaughter do not get along. I had been drinking also and started going to AA while living with my mother. My daughter is happy and enjoys the larger family atmospher and wants to stay another year to finish middle school. Am I an danger of loosing custody (I have full custody) if I allow this? Her father sees her one every two or three years and sends what he feels like sending financally. He travels and is self employeed and too difficult and costly to pursue in court (dit it once). I can no longer live with my mother - stress to much, she is very controlling. I work two jobs now, full time and part time and can financially suport us again.

My mother tells me that she an my sister are not going to let me have my daughter back. Can they actually legally do something to change my custody. her father does not know her, she remains angry with him because of his unkept promises and frequent long absences. Something I try to explain to her but although I understand her anger I am unable to get her talk about it and it is something I would like her to get some counceling for which isn't going to happen where she is.

Anyway, the question hidden in all was - can they take my teenage daughter? I was never arrested or had a DUI or court ordered treatment. I just realized I needed to stop because it had become a 4 evening or more habit. Can this be used against me?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Generally, if you have a written guardianship agreement with your sister and the father shows no interest and has not for years, NO you are not in danger of losing your rights to the child. However, if your sister proves you are an unfit parent, she can go to court and keep guardianship until you prove you are fit and capable of caring for your child again. The fact you went for help before it became a real problem is actually in your favor and it is not likely going to be anything that would be used against you in getting your daughter back.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is no guardianship agreement. Does this make a difference.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Yes, without a guardianship agreement you can show up any time you like and take the child as your sister has no legal rights without such an agreement. You really should sit with a local attorney or legal aid if you believe there is going to be a problem with your sister and getting your child back.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you