How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116818
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I petition for Guardianship of my nephew over the age

This answer was rated:

How do I petition for Guardianship of my nephew over the age of 18 who still needs me to financially support him while he is attending college? He has been living with me for about a year, just graduated from high school and has started his college. State of Indiana states that he is an adult and I cannot be his guardian. I am in the military and the only way I can add him as a dependent is if I have a court document stating that I am responsible for over 51% of his support and living expenses. I also have to have him in DEERS in order to transfer my Post 911 GI Bill to pay for his education. Can you please help me? Thank you.

SGT Marlene Templeton;[email protected] or XXX-XXX-XXXX
Actually, adoption is the only way to do this now that he is legally an adult. The only way to get guardianship over someone who is 18 or older would be if they were mentally handicapped and in need of a legal guardian. However, since it is pretty apparent that your nephew is not mentally or physically disabled, you are going to have to adopt if you want to claim him now as a dependent.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Sorry that it was not what you wanted to hear but your comment about providing child support until 23 if the child is in college applies only in cases where there is a child support order in place and if you did not have any child support order or legal custody order from the court in place prior to him turning 18, then it is too late now.

Related Family Law Questions