How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neice and her boyfriend have had problems (law and DCFS)

Resolved Question:

My neice and her boyfriend have had problems (law and DCFS) and now they are (in my opinion) not taking good care of their 3 kids. The kids complain of no food to eat and mom and dad always fighting and screaming. Two of the kids are on ADHD meds that the parents pick up but do not give them the pills. I would like to know what I need to do to try to get guardianship of them. I'm sure they will not sign papers willingly because they receive aid.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Do you know who the DCFS caseworker assigned to the case was?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, I do not know a name, just that it was a woman. I did not contact DCFS, just aware that they made a home visit on 6/28. I do know that it was not the first time DCFS has made a housecall.


Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
are you prepared to contact DCFS again?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, they are no help - my understanding that they did not even question or look at the kids.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Well as an aunt you have no right to get guardianship of the children. You have no basis to go and file anything in court. So unless you get DCFS to go in again and remove the children, you cannot file for guardianship. if DCFS removes the kids, they will then look for the nearest relatives to place the children with and that will start your path to legal guardianship. Absent that, an aunt has no standing to sue for guardianship. I'm sorry but I cannot lie to you. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I understand that I have no right to take the kids, I was wondering what next step would be if I can prove them unfit and going off leaving kids home alone (oldest is 10 and youngest is 5). Police have been notified but do not show up until after one of the parents have gotten home.

Also, if parents go to jail, do I have a right to file for emergency guardianship without their consent?

Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
To prove them unfit you have to contact DCFS each and every time and keep reporting them, eventually an investigation will occur. If the parents go to jail and IF you are the nearest relative you can file for emergency guardianship but if there is another closer relative...say a grandparent, then that person would have a superior right to guardianship than you do. I hope this helps clarify. Thanks and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may be given credit for my time and answers. Best regards.
GeorgetownLawyr and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions