How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30385
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have contempt of court issue with my ex wife. I cant find

This answer was rated:

I have contempt of court issue with my ex wife. I cant find her to get her served with the papers. How do i get the courts to give up an address on her. They send my child support to her but wont give the address for a contempt motion i have tried to file???? In desperate need for help!!!!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If she has a lawyer, you can serve the papers on him. Assuming that she doesn't, you can file a Motion with the court, explaining what you've done to attempt to locate her, and asking for permission to serve her by publication. What that means is posting the notice of the contempt in the local newspaper for a specified time period. This site has forms you can use:

You can also ask the judge to order her to keep you informed of her whereabouts, especially since she has your children, or to give you another address where she can be served in the future.

Good luck.
Lucy, Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The basis for my motion is that she left the state with my children and did not inform me 60 days prior to leaving which it states that in our divorce decree. She recently contacted me for a parental rights release so her husband could adopt them. I only complied due to the outrageous amount of child support that i pay and still dont know if he has or not. It has been since august of 2010 and nothing has been done. I now just want to find her and find out what is going on. Ibrealize that i still have my rights until the adoption is done. I regret even doing itbut, i talked to my oldest at the time when this was all going on and he said he wanted the adoption too. I havent been able to contact them since. So i guess my only option is the motion for contempt??? My son will 17 this november and it seems ridiculous to let go of my rights anyway. The sole purpose was so he would have the same last name as his stepfather due to getting into westpoint.
She is technically in contempt if she left the state with the children without informing you. She would also be in contempt if you still technically have custody and/or visitation rights, because the adoption hasn't gone through yet. So, you can file for contempt. At the very least, the judge can order her to give you contact information so you can have contact with your son.

You could also hire a private investigator to look for them, but that could be expensive. If you think you know where they would have gone, you can often search real property records online - if they bought a house, you'd be able to find it. The problem with that is you need to know which state they're in (and it's significantly easier if you also know the county).

Just as an aside, your child support will automatically terminate when your son graduates from high school anyway (if he is 18 at that time), and he can change his name himself when he's 18, so the adoption isn't really necessary. But it's up to you if you want to do it.
Lucy, Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you