How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27615
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Virginia. My ex-girlfriend is one month pregnant

Resolved Question:

I live in Virginia. My ex-girlfriend is one month pregnant with my child. I am not in agreement with her pregnancy. She advised that she is going to keep the child and raise the child on her own without any support or involvement from me. additionally, she advised that she will not persue me for child support in anyway at anytime now or in the future. To ensue this she told me to terminate my parental rights and this will render her unable to persue me for child support. Is this true?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 years ago.
Not necessarily. Giving up your parental rights would not relieve you of your obligation to pay child support if she were to seek it, down the road. If the child was adopted, that would relieve your duty to pay but giving up your rights would not prevent her from getting support, in the future. In an ideal situation for you, she would not ask you for support or go after you. However, things change and over the next 18 years, she could find herself in financial trouble and want help from you. Thank you for allowing me to answer your question and good luck. Please click the accept button, so I get credit for my help.
FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

What does the law say in regards to this issue in Michigan and California?

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 years ago.
The law where the child lives is what would control.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The child would be living in California.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 years ago.
Same as I stated above. You can give up your parental rights to make a decision in the child's life but it would not eliminate your obligation to pay child support.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

Related Family Law Questions