How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My exhusband and I have 3 children together, all under the

Resolved Question:

My exhusband and I have 3 children together, all under the age of 18, in New York state. He has been uemployed for a little over a year now and I received notice that he has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I understand that this action will not effect the court ordered child support, however, I have carried the medical, dental, prescription medication, prescription eyeglass insurance for the children and I have bills related to these services, that he is court ordered to pay 60% of. I have not received a payment for any of these for a year now. I plan on filing a violation petition within the next week however I want to know if he has already filed Chapter 7 will this abolish his ordered payment to pay his portion of these medical/dental bills?
Submitted: 6 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

The medical bills are considered a part of child support and cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.
lwpat and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you