Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife left two weeks ago with my two year old daughter. She

Customer Question
found pornographic pictures on my...
My wife left two weeks ago with my two year old daughter. She found pornographic pictures on my computer, made copies and left. She threatened to file for divorce on grounds of adultery. The pictures were password XXXXX and on my private computer. Now she is expecting child support and to get most of the assets. What are the chances of this happening?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2011
Family Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Good morning!

Adultery is grounds for divorce in Mississippi.
While it can affect property distribution, custody, and alimony, it shouldn't typically drastically skew things in favor of one spouse over the other.
Property should be distributed "equitably" (fairly) and child custody/visitation should be determined according to the best interests of the child. The custodial parent will receive child support.

However, adultery doesn't typically amount to one spouse's financial destruction and another's windfall.

Further, pornography by itself is not sufficient to show adultery. However, if pornography pertains to a local individual and a spouse has been engaging that person socially, pornography could be helpful in establishing that adultery occurred.

I know that this probably isn't entirely what you wanted to hear. However, it's the honest truth and I know you want a truthful answer above all. I hope that you will click accept so that I am paid for my time and effort spent providing this information.
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer