How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a state (Maryland) collect back child support for a 17

This answer was rated:

Can a state (Maryland) collect back child support for a 17 year old on the basis of a newly filed paternity suit and support claim? Can an indigent be jailed for nonpayment of support for a suddenly appearing child (17 years later)?
Good morning!

MD courts do not typically award retroactive child support, though the court has that discretion if a matter goes to trial.

An individual can be jailed to compel payment of child support once a support order is entered.
Essentially, child support is ordered. Then, upon a proper motion, if the court finds that the parent is failing to comply with the support order, sanctions can occur, potentially including jail time to compel compliance.
However, it is not an automatic thing that would result if support was retroactively awarded.
AttorneyTom and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions