How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 1993 my wife and I separated due to CPS and finalized the

Resolved Question:

In 1993 my wife and I separated due to CPS and finalized the divorce in 1995. I sent her a check every month for child support during that time. my daughter is 18yrs. old now and just graduated on 06/07/2011. I called to see when the CS would stop coming out of my ck. and was told I owe 13,047.00 in back CS.. Now this is 17yrs ago with no notice at all. I have tried to ck. or track my bank but they are only required to keep records for 7yrs. My ex is giving me a hard time signing an affidavitt.. so what to do next??????
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

You will need to file a motion in the family court to vacate the arrears. The judge will be the one that decides. You state that it was garnished out of your check. Your employer may have records. You can state that now it is prejudicial to claim that there are arrears when it has never been mentioned and the judge may vacate. I would suggest retaining an attorney to file for you,
lwpat and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions