Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

does giving up your visitation rights mean that you have no

Customer Question
legal rights to the child?...
does giving up your visitation rights mean that you have no legal rights to the child?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
7/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there.

No, if you give up your visitation rights at this time or even forever -- you do not give up your legal rights to your child unless you agree to sever parental rights -- and that is an entirely different document that you would have to execute and file with the court. FYI, even if you agree to give up visitation or you want to sever your parental rights the courts will generally not let you off the hook from paying child support payments unless there is someone who is willing to adopt the child in your shoes and take over the care and support of the child in your place (such as if the custodial parent remarries and the step parent wants to adopt the child).

--Mary

GOOD LUCK

Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.

Even if you placed a deposit or have paid Just Answer for this Question via a subscription service, I am NOT paid anything until you press the ACCEPT BUTTON at the bottom of this box. This is not a hobby for me -- this is how I earn my living -- and I depend upon the good will of my customers to honor Just Answer's honor system of payment and press ACCEPT to make sure that I am paid for my time.

THANK YOU

Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer