Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
5180018

I have guardianship of my granddaughter i have had it for 7

I have guardianship of my granddaughter i have had it for 7 years due to drug abuse of my daughter and father having never been located, 2 years ago my daughter was killed in a car crash and now I would like to adopt my granddaughter so she can attend college free because I'm a 100% disabled veteran how hard and expensive is this also will my granddaughter then loose here social security
Submitted: 6 years ago via MyFamilyLaw.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

The adoption of a child already entitled to benefits does not terminate the child's benefits.

The actual cost of an adoption will vary based upon the attorney you select so you should shop around for an attorney that you feel comfortable representing you that you can afford. If you dont know of any adoption attorneys then you should contact your local attorney bar association or visit www.martindale.com to find an adoption attorney.

The total cost of adopting varies from $0 to more than $40,000, depending on a number of factors. The chart below outlines some general categories of adoption and costs associated with the services provided. The wide range reflects the multitude of factors that may affect costs, including the type of adoption, the type of placement agency or facilitator, and the child's age and circumstances. Prospective adoptive parents are encouraged to check with the agencies they are considering to find out more about specific costs for their circumstances.

Range of Adoption Costs
Foster Care Adoptions$0 - $2,500
Licensed Private Agency Adoptions$5,000 - $40,000+
Independent Adoptions$8,000 - $40,000+
Facilitated/Unlicensed Adoptions$5,000 - $40,000+
Intercountry Adoptions$7,000 - $30,000
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what does in entail and how hard is it to do
It is not as easy as it may appear. I strongly suggest that your hire a lawyer to do it for you but if you wish to attempt it yourself you can go to the self-help center at the link below for the forms.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/family/adoption/