How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if my son wants his original birth certifcate and social

Resolved Question:

What if my son wants his original birth certifcate and social card and is leaving home and 4 months from being 18?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Would you please explain your situation in greater detail?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have already recieved, other information I needed, but below is the situation:


My 17 (4 months from 18) year old left our house over a month ago over an arguement over grades. While leaving, he punched a hole through my front door. My two younger daughters watched, my husband was not home. I never kicked him out, he left willingly. I have full custody, but my son has recently touched base with my ex husband after 8 years. Over the weeks the words get harsher and harsher. Threats of law suits and police, when Im currectly unemployed, own nothing but my kids and have no fear of police as Ive done nothing wrong. I have all the communications between us and the door with the hole. He's wanting to come today to get his things, which Im fine with, but I dont want him back in my house because of the anger and aggression. I will box all of his things and place in atrium area of our house. He's threatening to bring the police and Im not sure why, what purpose would that serve and what can I do to protect myself?

Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

Due to your son's anger and aggression, having the police present may be beneficial.

You may contact the police and request a civil assist. In effect you would be asking the police to have an officer present at your house at the time your son comes to pick up his items to prevent the possibility of violence
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
H epicked up his things with no issues, thank God. But if I cant make him stay and he insists on living with his dad, do I have to provide him his social card and birth certifcate?
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

You are not required to turn those items over to him absent a court order
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much, that helps
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.
It has been my pleasure to work with you

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers..

Please let me know if I can assist you in the future by requesting me directly.