Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

What happens if I refuse to sign divorce papers I do not want

Customer Question
What happens if I refuse...
What happens if I refuse to sign divorce papers? I do not want a divorce and know that really doesn't matter to my husband or the courts. But, if I can't bring myself to sign the papers what will happen next?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/6/2011
Family Lawyer: Dave Kennett, Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Are there legal grounds for divorce or is your husband asking that you simply agree to one?
My husband filed for divorce last November. He does not have legal grounds for divorce, I have them but do not want the divorce. I employed a lawyer after I got served with divorce papers and we are at a point of going to trial next month because we are not agreeing on the debt settlement. I can see us eventually coming to some sort of agreement on the debt (either bankruptcy or my husband acknowledges and will participate in the repayment of significant personal debt to my family). That being the case, unless he changes his mind, I can see that there will be divorce papers to sign one day. If I don't sign them, what happens. Will I be held in contempt or will a default judgement be filed against me? Or what?

Dear JACUSTOMER - You don't have to sign anything you don't want to sign however if the court rules that your husband has grounds for divorce then the court can order the divorce whether you sign or not. The debt issue is different from the issue of the divorce itself so if you are going to contest the divorce there's no point in agreeing on a settlement until you know if the divorce is going to go through.

From a practical standpoint, if you are living separate and apart there will come a time when that in itself will be grounds for divorce so if your husband wants a divorce he will be able to get one at some time in the future if not now.

It all depends on how much you want to spend to fight all of this and that is your decision. But you have no duty to sign anything that you do not want to sign.

If I don't sign the paperwork, will the proceedings just default to going forward and a judge or the courts will grant the divorce. In other words, does my signing the papers or not signing the papers even matter? It would at least make me feel better to never have to sign paperwork that breaks the covenant of the marriage that was made 31 years ago.

Yes the case would have to move forward as a contested divorce. All issues will have to be contested at trial and the judge will make the decision.
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
So if we go before the judge on July 1 (assuming we haven't agreed to the debt settlement) at the trial the judge will decide what? On the terms of settlement and then will grant the divorce on that day?
I don't see how the judge could grant a divorce if you haven't agreed or signed the paperwork. You said you had a lawyer and if you do not intend to sign the paperwork I would strongly suggest that you inform your attorney so that he or she is not embarrassed when you appear in court and say you do not agree to the divorce. Contesting a divorce on the basis of grounds is relatively rare and most attorneys and judges assume there will be no argument over that issue as most problems occur in the area of finances and child issues.
Thank you for your help.
No problem and thanks for sing our service - Dave
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer