How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I pay child support for my two sons per agreement $700 per

Customer Question

I pay child support for my two sons per agreement $700 per month
one is 15 and the other turned 18 Feb 2011 and graduated from high school June 2,2011
I understand after graduation child support will stop for the 18 year old
Since I pay $700 for two will my payments now be only $350 and do I just send that in to Child support monthly.Will Child support know that the payment for the 18 will stop after graduation
Submitted: 6 years ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


You are correct that under the circumstances the child support ends at 18.


You will need to obtain the original or a certified copy of the 18 year olds birth certificate and provide it to the Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services and tell them that the child is no longer in high school. They will then terminate his portion of the support.


Of the child support order does not clarify how much of the support is for each child, the family services people may require you to go back to the judge and get that clarified so that they know how much to terminate and how much to keep active.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To clarify if my child support states $700 monthly for both
How do I reduce payments for the 18 yr old
Or must I continue till the other son turns 18?
What is the mist economical way of terminating child support for the 18 if original order stated payments for both and not written as $350 for each child?
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.


Go to the link above and recalculate the child support for 1 child instead of 2.


Then try to to see if the family services people will allow you to pay lesser of $350 or what is shown by the link above.


If they do not agree to modify the support in writing per one of these two methods, you will need to file what is called a "motion to clarify support order" with the court that issued the order. Once the motion is filed and served on the other parent a hearing will need to be set and you will both have to show up in front of the judge so he can terminate the 18yr olds support and issue a new order stating what amount is owed each month for the other child.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please note our child support agreement was done privately and outside the child support normal calculations because both incomes of parents were high
How does this effect ur advice
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
The only proper way to get this resolved is to get the clarification order from the court. If the family services department will agree to reduce in 1/2 without a court order and are willing to give you that in writing, I would try that first.
Maverick and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok thank you
Appreciate it
Thxs maverick
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
Sure. Thank you.