How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

can i get a public defender for help for a child support case,

Resolved Question:

can i get a public defender for help for a child support case, My Ex has a credit for child support because my oldest son is now living with him but I still have two the he pays child support for and the courts adjusted it, so now he filed a motion for the money owed to him but they calculated the in the new child support payment, also they doubled the credit on an old case number XXXXX now opened a new one with with a credit which i ashed for an audit on both cases renee
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


If at the time that you go to court the judge threaten to hold you in contempt or does hold you in contempt for not paying child support, then you can request a public defender.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I dont pay child support he does , they just reduced it and retro active from the time my oldest went to live with him it went from 300 a week to 166 a week.My oldest is 17 so when he turns 18 it goes back up to 249 a week for my other 2 kids, so it not that i havent paid bexause he pays me I wanted to make sure that they clear it up the Credit he has.
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

If you are not facing a criminal charge like contempt of court then you are not going to be able to have access to a public defender. In order to clear up the credit issue, you need to hire a civil family law attorney or go to your local legal aid center.



Maverick and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you