How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 30180
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am handling my divorce papers without a lawyer and would

Customer Question

I am handling my divorce papers without a lawyer and would like to know if I have the proper documents in place so that I can serve my husband the papers. We are filing a no fault divorce in California and have prepared a marriage settlement agreement. I know that I need a petition-marriage form and the summons form. I also understand that we need the UCCJEA form for our two children. Is there anything else that I am missing? Please let me know. I don't want to send the papers and have it come back because I didn't complete a document.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When you say that you've prepared a settlement agreement, I'm not sure if you mean that you already did a Property Declaration form. If you didn't, you would file that with the other documents.

You'll also need the Proof of Service, after the forms are filed, and you should note that you have to serve your husband with a blank response form in addition to the Petition and the Summons.

Or, if you're serving him by mail, send the Acknowledgment of Receipt form instead. If the divorce is uncontested, he may agree to let you serve him by mail.