How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is living with a man who is the father of their

Resolved Question:

My daughter is living with a man who is the father of their child. The man is mentally abusive, pays nothing for the child and threatens her all of the time. the threats are about custody of the baby. My daughter lives in New Jersey and we live in Tampa. They want to come see us in July for my birthday but the father says he will have her arrested if she leaves the state.

How can I help her get custody and away from this guy.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Is she prepared to file for divorce?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I thought I was paying $60 for an answer?


My daughter is not married. She is living with the guy.

Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
You are. I just wanted to clarify a few things if that is ok with you? how old is the child? is there any court order in effect regarding custody?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The baby just turned one year old. The father does not share in support. There is no court order of any kind it has been threats. She needs to get out and move. Her job is excellent and she can manage alone very well.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Ok, so my question to you is why doesn't she move out? is he doing something to stop her from physically moving? or is it she wants to leave the state?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She wants t o move out. Either closer to work or Florida. I/she needs to know her rights. As a father I have asked the same questions to myself.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
she can move. there is absolutely no issue there. they are not married so HE would have to take her to court to establish paternity and get any legal rights to the child, that is how the law works when people are not married the mother has all the rights to the child and the father basically has nothing. Most women go to court for child support and therefore the father gets rights at that time but if your daughter does not need him financially she can move out and put the burden on him of going to court to get any rights to the child, until there is a court order in effect she is free to take the child any where that she wants to and he cannot have her arrested because they are not married and he has not established his paternity. so those are her rights. the right to move. the right to visit you with the child in July, until a court says otherwise. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you