How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If A final Dissolution of marriage occured and the defendent

Resolved Question:

If A final Dissolution of marriage occured and the defendent was not aware (did not have legal representation), thought it was a temp. ruling. The entire settlement is not equitable. Can the case be reopened? The settlement was not an equal distribution and in addition the child support order is than what is earned in a month.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 6 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Unless you can prove that the settlement agreement was obtained by fraud, I'm afraid that you can not go back and re-open the settlement agreement based on that fact that you thought it was a temporary settlement.

You may go back at any time and petition for a Modification of Child Support though, based upon mistake or a change in circumstances.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,


LawTalk and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you