How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102523
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am paying child support on two children. My daughter is 20

Resolved Question:

I am paying child support on two children. My daughter is 20 and my son is 18. My daughter is a full time student and my son will become a full time student in the fall.
My divorce decree states I will pay child support until further order by the court. My question is do I have to go back to court to stop paying support or does it end at 18 years of age. Divorce granted in Granbury, Texas.
Steve Bullock
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

This is strangely worded, because generally the decree will have an end date. Termination of child support is either at eighteen or end of high school (whichever is later); although Tex. Family Code Ann. §154.002 allows some support if the child is enrolled in junior college or is still working in their diploma.

What you have to do in this case is to file a motion to terminate child support, and request that it is terminated. The Court will then terminate child support.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Ely and 6 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you