How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34516
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The father of my grandson physically abused my daughter. He

Customer Question

The father of my grandson physically abused my daughter. He went to jail and is out now. My daughter and grandson live with me. The father comes to visit his son but always causes mental and emotional stress on me and my daughter. He comes whenever he gets ready and leaves when he feels like it. He tries to tell me how to run my house and what to watch on TV. He also doesn't approve of the way we take care of his son. He has stormed out of the house angry several times because of his anger. I want to tell him to stay away from my house. This will not enable him to see his son. What are his rights as a sperm donor and my daughter's rights as the mother?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

The court is the only one who can limit rights. So unless or until a court limits his rights to the child he has full rights.

At the same time, as the grandparent you have no rights to the child unless or until a court grants you rights.

If you want custody, hire a lawyer and file a case with the court...if you can show it will be in the best interest of the child (what you say? I think it would be ) the court will grant you custody.
P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't want custody as the grandparent. My daughter wants full custody. This is my house and I should have the right to say who comes and goes here. Can I ban him from coming to my house?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
He got the information all wrong.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago. can certainly ban him from your home...its your home.

Related Family Law Questions