How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34745
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im trying to file for divorce in california and my wife is

Resolved Question:

Im trying to file for divorce in california and my wife is in texas, i dont know her address and she refuses to respond to me when i ask for an address. what are my options. ive been trying for a year now.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Tell me, is your spouse going to cooperate with you on the "who gets what" aspect of this divorce?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last time we talk she said she was
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 6 years ago.

That is the key here...more important than her address is that you and her agree. If not? This turns from a "non-contested" divorce (which you can do on your lawyers needed) to a "contested" divorce...and that requires you interface with the court with a lawyer or acting as your own lawyer (bad idea)

So you may want to track her down to make sure she still will need her to sign off on the Marital Separation Agreement. IF she is willing to do this? Your divorce will be very easy. If not? Then it turns very complex very quickly.

As for how to track her down? Any decent Private Investigator can do this for you. But you may want to try this service first

And perhaps you can save the cost of a PI.

Let me know if you have more questions.
P. Simmons and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you