Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

When am I legally allowed to pick up my 2 year old daughter

from daycare? The order states...
When am I legally allowed to pick up my 2 year old daughter from daycare? The order states "school release" but she is not in school so how would that apply? We, parents, were granted shared parental rights and responsibilities.
6/1/2011
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for your question. After reading my answer, please do not hesitate to reply if you have additional questions or need more information. If you have no questions, I ask that you click the ACCEPT button so that I am paid for my time. As I do this for a living, not a hobby, please honor and respect the honor code, and compensate me for my time as you would any other professional.

There's no set rule under Florida law when children are not enrolled in school If it's not addressed in the parenting plan, some judges will say to keep the child on a regular schedule and for convenience sake, follow the same calendar as the local school district. Therefore, if school lets out at 3:00 p.m., for example, that would be the pick-up time. Other judges will say that if a parent can pick up the child early and spend time with them, parental interaction and care is better than daycare (and this is what I see more judges favor). Surely the judge would have no problem with the custodial parent picking up their child earlier, so why would they have a problem with the non-custodial parent doing so?

It seems like perhaps it was an oversight that this wasn't clearly spelled out in the parenting plan initially, and ideally, a court would rather you reach an agreement together. If you cannot do so, however, you can file a supplemental petition to modify the parenting plan and ask the court to change the agreement to reflect the rights of each parent to pick up the child early from daycare.

JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer
RobertJDFL, Lawyer