Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

In a child custody case are the potential gardians record

Customer Question
In a child custody case...
In a child custody case are the potential gardian's record of arrest admissable even if the case was dismissed or found not guilty?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer replied 6 years ago
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem.

Yes, the court can consider prior arrest even if the case was dismissed or found not guilty unless the information has been expunged.

That seems a bit unfair since a verdict of not guilty exonerates the individual and the introduction could be prejudicial. Is it only in criminal court where prior bad acts are inadmissable?

Though it is true prior non-convictions can not be used against you on a criminal law matter there issue is different for family law. The court can and does consider any factor that the judge believes can affect the best interest of the child.

The only way to prevent this would be to obtain an expungment of the arrest.

Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer