How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my husband and i are divorcing, but have not filed for it yet.his

Resolved Question:

my husband and i are divorcing, but have not filed for it yet.his name is XXXXX XXXXX house title and loan. mine is not. he has an addiction and is not paying his mortgage payments and will probably lose the house. is their anyway that i might be forced to pay it or it go against my credit since we are married. it is only his debt right?? i'm scared somehow it will affect me negitively...please let me know. -donna
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If your name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage then they can foreclose on the house and they can file for a deficiency against him but you would not be subject to the deficiency. You may be named in the foreclosure suit if it is filed whole you are married since you have a marital interest in the real estate while you are married however you can object to any negative effect on your credit since you are not liable for the debt. I assume you would not be keeping the house in the event of a divorce.
Dave Kennett and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you