Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
3396227

my husband and i are divorcing, but have not filed for it yet.his

my husband and i are divorcing, but have not filed for it yet.his name is XXXXX XXXXX house title and loan. mine is not. he has an addiction and is not paying his mortgage payments and will probably lose the house. is their anyway that i might be forced to pay it or it go against my credit since we are married. it is only his debt right?? i'm scared somehow it will affect me negitively...please let me know. -donna
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER - If your name is XXXXX XXXXX the mortgage then they can foreclose on the house and they can file for a deficiency against him but you would not be subject to the deficiency. You may be named in the foreclosure suit if it is filed whole you are married since you have a marital interest in the real estate while you are married however you can object to any negative effect on your credit since you are not liable for the debt. I assume you would not be keeping the house in the event of a divorce.