How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about getting a divorce abroad. My wife lives

Resolved Question:

I have a question about getting a divorce abroad. My wife lives in Los Angeles and I live in Israel.
We have been separated since 2001 and have no common assets or property.
We have 2 children but one of them is 20/
I am on social security disability and they pay my son on my behalf.
I also send additional money when I can.
Our relationship is amicable. We were married in Las Vegas but resided in California.
We got married in 1988.
I want to get remarried in the coming year. I don't have a lot of money for a lawyer and if possible I'd like to do it myself.what do you suggest? Thank you
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and for using JA. Please click accept so I will receive credit from JA for my time.

Since you have been separated for this length of time you can obtain a divorce either in Israel or in California. In CA your wife would have to file the action and then you can accept service and agree to the divorce and you would not have to appear. The CA court can decide child support and visitation on the minor child. Either of you can obtain a divorce without the agreement of the other. In Israel you need to contact a local attorney. The US embassy has a list of attorneys. In CA she can contact a local attorney and here is that referral site


Under the situation this is not something to do yourself.
lwpat and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions