How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29802
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Lucy, I am wondering, after I settle and divorce is finalized,

This answer was rated:

Hi Lucy, I am wondering, after I settle and divorce is finalized, can I later change venue and reopen an issue within my divorce for further investigation? (such as additional discovery for hidden assets?). Thank you, Joy
Good morning,

After the divorce is final, you can only re-open it if you discover new evidence that could not have been found at the time of the initial hearing. But the discovery process is no longer available at that point. It would have to be an issue where new evidence came to your attention first, then you asked the judge to reopen the case, then you were able to do discovery. It would necessarily be allowed, so it's not something you would be able to plan in advance. If you think there is hidden evidence that you can find during discovery, it's better to do whatever you can to bring it out now.

The judge does retain jurisdiction to modify things like alimony and child support after the divorce is finalized, if there has been a material change in circumstances. But, again, you would need to have some evidence of the change before filing for a modification.
Lucy, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions