How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Indian citizen and a US permanent resident.This regarding

Resolved Question:

I am an Indian citizen and a US permanent resident.This regarding child support. My ex-wife and I divorced in 2004 in India and child support was ordered in India which I have been paying until now. She re-married and moved to New Jersey with my daughter and I am paying the child support ordered in India since I still live in India. I also re-married and my my wife is a US citizen and I plan to move to Maryland next month to live with my wife. Is the court order for child support from India considered valid in the US? How does this work? Do I have to support my child based on US laws? If so, how is it calculated? Suppose I make $100K, how would you calculate child support? Would my wife's income be used in determining the amount?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

Here is a link that explains MD child support and how it is determined, it even has a link to a calculator you can use to get an idea of the amount of support. I am giving you this link because even though the u.s. will recognize the India child support, once you move to the u.s. she can transfer the case to MD and then child support will be governed by MD (Maryland) so you need to be prepared that you will have to pay support based on Maryland now, not India. here is the link:

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

She brought the child to the US in 2009 without informing me or the court in India. I found out only a few days later. Would she still be able to transfer the case from India to the US? If she doesn't transfer, can she file a case here in the US for child support?

Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
yes she can transfer the case here because she lives in the u.s. and so will you be living here so the u.s. will have jurisdiction and the right to now have the case once you move here. I hope this helps clarify. thank you and please be sure to click ACCEPT so that I may be given credit for my time and answers. Best regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how would she transfer? Would she just file a case here or transfer the case from India? Also, she brought the child without informing me or the court. Would she still be able to transfer the case if the Indian Court comes to know of her contempt?
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
I feel at this point we are just repeating ourselves. I have answered this question. it doesn't matter that she didn't get permission to bring the child, the child is here, she is here and you will be here so yes she can transfer the case. whatever the rules of maryland law is to transfer a case she will follow that or she can just start a new case here. I believe I have answered your questions and I would appreciate if you would click ACCEPT to give credit as you would like to have credit for your work. if my answers cannot get an Accept I am happy to leave this question. if you have follow up, i am happy to answer after you click ACCEPt and give credit. thank you kindly.
GeorgetownLawyr and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Please see all my questions and someone else answer for me? I thought she would answer until I am clear - I wasn't repeating myself purposefully - I didn't get clear answer so I asked again. I want precise answer - if someone can help me.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
how much more precise can I be to help you be more clear, as I thought I was being clear?