How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband wants to legally adopt my son but I dont know who my sons biologica

Resolved Question:

My husband wants to legally adopt my son but I don't know who my son's biological father is. No father is listed on the birth certificate. Is this adoption process possible without knowing who the biological father is?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

How old is your son and how long have you been married?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My son is 4 months old and my husband and I have been married for a week now.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
It's certainly possible. What basically has to happen is when the adoption process is started, the petitioning parties must get permission from the court to run an advertisement in the newspaper announcing the proposed adoption. If no one thereafter comes forward to claim paternity (and prove it), the father is considered "served" and the adoption can proceed without him. This is called "service by publication".

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Brandon M. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions