Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

this is a new question .sticky situation perhaps.my wifes mother

Customer Question
remarried about 20 years ago...
this is a new question .sticky situation perhaps.my wifes mother remarried about 20 years ago after her husband past. she owned 3 apartments & her house previus to this marriage.she found that the new husband was cheating on her for all this time ,& also visiting internet porn sites & self satisfying a lot .now ,of course she kick him out ,& he is ,saying he can create alot of problems for her ,saying that she has witheld affection & mental cruelty towards him & he is asking for $94000 for all the work that was put into her house , while it was his idea to remodel & she paid for it &has proof of that .my question is ,she owned the property before their marriage ,why should she pay twice for the improvements &why should he be reimberse for what he says he spend ,it is life ,it cost money to live &he resided @her house for 20 years rent free because they were married , some times he paid half of the property taxes ,that does him a claim to community property or reimbursment.I also like to mention ,he is a retired nasa scientiest with a very healthy retirement package & his ex wife is a lawyer giving him advice & my wifes mother is very ill that we are contemplating moving to the bay area to assist her.In a nutshell this is the question ,shold she get a good attorney & start asking for half of his assets or let him roll over her like he always has done
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
6/1/2011
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 6 years ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

California is a community property state. However, it does recognize separate property that was acquired prior to the marriage

Samuel-II :

That means that he is not automatically entitled to 50 percent of all the property.

Samuel-II :

It is something that would be evaluated based on his contribution to the properties, and then it would only be a portion of the increased value from the time they married until the time they separate with intent to divorce.

Samuel-II :

I would certainly suggest she consult with a local attorney before she agrees to anything with him

Samuel-II :

Based on his behavior with the adultrey and porn, it is possible that she could be entitled to spousal support and also certainly a portion of his retirement

Samuel-II :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law